Sunday, February 7, 2010

Life of Samuel Pepys

The diary of Samuel Pepys explains in close detail the life of Samuel Pepys from 1660-1669. Pepys goes into detail about events such as the Great fire of London and gives you a perspective of someone living in the in that time period. During my first day of study Ppeys goes through the Great fire of London He first hears about it in the night, but, not realizing the magnitude of the news, goes back to sleep.Jane called us up about three in the morning, to tell us of a great fire they saw in the City. So I rose and slipped on my nightgowne, and went to her window, and thought it to be on the backside of Marke-lane at the farthest; but, being unused to such fires as followed, I thought it far enough off; and so went to bed again and to sleep”(Pepysdairy.com). (September 1666).
The fire burned the whole city and people stayed in their houses as long as they could and lasted for four eight days.(September 1666).

In two successive years of the 17th century London suffered two terrible disasters. In the spring and summer of 1665 an outbreak of Bubonic Plague spread from parish to parish until thousands had died and the huge pits dug to receive the bodies were full.(http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/England-History/GreatPlague.htm))_ .London starts to look empty because the plague is causing everyone to leave for the country or die of it. Most doctors have died treating the sick including Pepys even Whitehall looks deserted"This day was buried (but I could not be there) my cousin Percivall Angier. And yesterday received the news that Dr Tom Pepys is dead at Impington - for which I am but little sorry; not only because he would have been troublesome to us, but a shame to his family and profession, he was such a coxcomb."(Pepysdiary.com)(January 1665).
While the plague was raging in London in 1666 he remained at his post when many of his colleagues ran away, and he avowed his readiness to take the risk of disease, as others of the king's servants faced the dangers of war. "Up, and by coach to my Lord Sandwiches, but he was gone out. So I to White-hall and there waited on the Duke of Yorke with some of the rest of our brethren; and thence back again to my Lord's to see my Lord Hinchingbrooke, which I did, and I am mightily out of countenance, in my great expectation of him by others' report; though he is endeed a pretty Gentleman, yet nothing what I took him for methinks, either as to person, or discourse discovered to me - but I must try him more before I go to far in censuring.[ Hinchingbrooke, Sandwich's eldest son, now 18, had returned from abroad in August 1665. He had been away for four years, studying in Paris, and travelling in France and Italy.]Certainly this year of 1666 will be a year of great action, but what the consequence of it will be, God knows "(pepysdiary.com)(Febuary 1660)

No comments:

Post a Comment